Indian PM Modi distressed at tourist deaths in Sikkim avalanche
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the tragic avalanche in Sikkim, saying he was "distressed" by the mishap.
Earlier in the day, Indian Home Minister Amit Shah said that the government is closely monitoring the situation in Sikkim.
Shah took to Twitter to condole the loss of lives and assured that the teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) will reach the affected area soon. The minister also prayed for the speedy recovery of those injured in the incident.
At least seven tourists were killed and many are feared trapped after an avalanche struck the Gangtok-Nathu La road in Sikkim on April 4 afternoon, the Army said.
"By 3 pm, 14 persons were rescued and taken to a nearby Army medical facility. However, seven persons succumbed. The other seven persons were administered first aid and returned to Gangtok, the Army said in a statement.
Approximately 5-6 vehicles along with 20-30 tourists on way to Natu La are feared to have been stuck under the snow, the army said.
Besides, a total of 350 stranded tourists and 80 vehicles have also been rescued after snow clearance from the road.